Olive Oil has long been praised for it’s heart health benefits and is often credited with the health and increased life expectancy of the Mediterranean people. It is also found in many of our favorite hair and skin care products. So much so, many companies have dedicated entire product lines to this high fat, super food. Here’s everything you need to know about olive oil and your hair.
Olive oil comes from olives that have been harvested within the first two to three weeks of ripening. After that much of what makes them so healthy, monounsaturated fatsand polyphenols, begin to rapidly degenerate. The olives are then crushed into a paste and mixed with water. From there they are run through a centrifuge which helps separate the oil from the remaining pulp and water.
There are several varieties of olive oil on the market, but I’d recommended sticking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil(EVOO). It is generally unrefined and tends to be the most pure, since it isn’t mixed with any chemical deodorizers or bleaches. It also retains the most nutrients.
- Full of polyphenols that have antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties.
- Rich in monounsaturated fats, great for shine and strength.
- Vitamin E which helps nurish and moisturize.
- Helps fight dandruff.
- Great for controling frizz.
- A great natural deep conditioner: EVOO+ 1 Egg +Honey
- Run a few drops of EVOO through your hair after styling to help control frizz.
- Equal parts EVOO+ Water+ Lemon juice make for a great anti dandruff pre-poo treatment. Apply and give yourself a nice scalp massage. Let sit for about 20 minutes, rinse and then continue with your normal wash day routine.
- Suffering from psoriasis? Try this EVOO +Brown Sugar+Tea Tree Oil Scalp Scrub.
*Shelf life: 1 Year*
In the comments below, tell me what are some of your favorite ways to incorporate Olive Oil into your regimen.