When beginning a healthy hair journey one of the best things you can do for your hair is switch to a two-step moisture process.
Step 1: apply your favorite moisturizer.
Step 2 seal in moisture with your favorite oil.
We’ve talked about how to choose an effective moisturizer, but how do you choose an oil when there are hundreds of possibilities? That’s where OIL GUIDE comes in handy. Oil guide is a weekly exploration into a variety of health and beauty oils. It should be used as a quick reference to aid you in choosing oils to add to your stash. Oil guide will focus on three main categories; WHAT is it, WHY is it beneficial, and HOW should you use it. First up, coconut oil.
There are two types of coconut oil, REFINED and UNREFINED. From there it can be further broken down into different categories based on how the oil is extracted, but for the purposes of this guide let’s stick to the basics.
Unrefined coconut oil comes from fresh coconut. The oil is extracted from the raw meat soon after the coconut matures. Refined coconut oil is made from dried coconut meat called Copra. Once the Copra is dried, it is pressed to release the oil. It then undergoes a bleaching and deodorizing process in order to remove any impurities. Both are solid at room temperature but are easily melted with body heat.
Unrefined coconut oil is the purest form of coconut oil available and since it doesn’t go through the bleaching process it maintains its coconut scent and taste. It also retains more nutrients. On the flip side, refined coconut oil is odorless and tasteless and tends to be a little less expensive. While I recommend sticking with unrefined, both are good for use in your hair care routine.
- It can penetrate the hair shaft moisturizing strands from the inside out.
- Rich in fatty acids which help prevent dandruff, antibacterial.
- Helps replenish proteins lost due to damage and normal wear and tear.
- Adds shine.
- Vitamins E, K and Iron rich to help prevent hair loss and breakage.
- Helps protect against lice.
- Use in your two-step moisture process as a sealant.
- Coconut oil + a few drops of tea tree oil make for a great hot oil treatment to help fight dandruff.
- Slather your hair in coconut oil before you wash to help condition and detangle.
- Massage the oil directly onto your scalp to give yourself a nice scalp massage to help promote growth.
As with all things, everything doesn’t work for everybody. Give it a try and let me know how your hair likes it.
*Shelf Life: Two Years*
In the comments below tell me your favorite ways to use coconut oil!